Monday 26 September 2011

colour sense

One of the things that I really love about the folk skirt of my dreams is the colour combination of the green of the skirt and the blue in the braid trim; all of it anchored by the black. That blue and green together, it's not quite right, slightly off kilter and the impact of that is part of what makes the skirt.

Anyway, I've got some braid, I've got a sewing pattern to work with (New Look 6981), now what colour to make the skirt? I was thinking a dusty pink, reasoning that red is next to orange on the colour wheel (as blue is next to green) but wanting to mute it down a bit. That's actually coral there above and some other combinations that fell out of my fabric cupboard when I opened it are below. But hmm, what about lavender?




















4 comments:

Rachel said...

Not sure how accurate the colors show on my monitor. I like the lower right combination. The oranges and greens in the tape pop. The upper right looks like what you are describing.

heidi said...

Matthew and I both prefer the last one - the brownish green. It's interesting to see how different parts of the ribbon pop when you put it on different colors!

Leonie said...

I love playing with colour combos and seeing what changes. On my monitor the "best" colour combos are the two at the bottom, the dark blue and the grey/green. The light blue isn't bad but the strip gets a little lost. The red and the coral both have the wrong tones on my screen and don't look as good. they may be a better match in person. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Affordable Insurance said...

It's interesting to see how different parts of the ribbon pop when you put it on different colors!