Sunday 25 April 2010

thrift score

The other thing that I do when I feel stressed is spend money. What is it about spending money that makes me feel like I am in control of something? Perhaps it is just the illusion of power in the notion of purchasing power. Fortunately, I'm spending it at the thrift store so it doesn't do too much damage to our bank account. And these past few days I have struck it lucky with yarn:

top row, left to right: Noro Transitions, Cascade 220 Superwash (four), Enterprise Knitting Yarn (a vintage Sugar'n'Cream), Zitron Trekking XXL
middle row: Rowan Cotton Tape, Lily Sugar'n'Cream, (two), Baruffa Kid Fur (not sure what I'll do with this one), Cascade 220 Wool
bottom row:
Zitron Trekking XXL, Patons UK Crocus 4ply (four; a vintage yarn I think), Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool (white and red).

All very useful purchases and all of which of course just lead me to think of more projects and things that I want to make and ...

p.s. Thrift Score is also an excellent book by Al Hoff, all about my favourite past time.

2 comments:

Ann Gibson said...

Wow, you have been lucky! Those sock yarns are super scores -- retail for $15-20. But what do you do with single balls of say, Cotton Tape or Silky Wool? That's why I hesitate even when it's a bargain: I can't think what I'd do with it. And do you take any precautions against moths?

shandy said...

You found Noro and Elsebeth Lavold in a thrift store?

I nominate Newfoundland Mitts as a great odd ball knit - perhaps not with Cotton Tape though.