Monday 15 October 2012

knitting - encouragement required

Certainly one of the greatest dilemmas for any travelling knitter is - "what knitting to take?"

Yes, there is always the welcome opportunity, should the knitter in question tragically run out of knitting, to purchase more yarn, even just a single skein of something really nice. Actually, that's a good idea as a souvenir anytime but I digress. It's more of a dilemma when there is actual knitting to do but none of it is really inspiring.

I have tired a bit of my Betty Mouat Cowl, unsure whether it is really working out. It is actually working out exactly as I had envisioned and intended, I'm just feeling unsure whether I got that vision and intention right. I was very successful using Judy's Magic Cast-on for my 441 provisional stitches. I am getting just the effect that I desired of a pale band in the middle of the cowl, the colour progression to the dark hues is a little more abrupt than I had expected. I've just ... run out of ... steam a bit ....


And then to just add to the disenchantment - Cladonia. I love this shawl pattern, I love the yarn and colours that I have chosen but it is just not working out (again) and I cannot bear the thought of re-knitting it (a third time).

I am waiting for some yarn to arrive in the mail with which I will be able to finish off the triple-picot edge (not a prospect to relish) - yes, I know that I swore I was going to finish it with what I had but then I swore so much that I reconsidered. I didn't buy the yarn, a lovely fellow Raveller is giving it to me, a whole skein's worth!

So really, all the effort that I went to to laboriously unpick and laboriously reweave those two 'truffle hunt' rows was ... just laborious. And tedious. And in retrospect completely unnecessary. I am even tempted to rip back a good two thirds of it to rework the stripe sequence but now I dread not only knitting the lace again but also the striped rows with all the extra increases that I have introduced at the edges. Actually, scrap that notion altogether - I have so little of the 'old world' left over (and not to hand) that I couldn't risk re-knitting the stripes. Solved! When the yarn arrives, I will knit the picot edge, fix up a bit where I have started another unnecessary row of shawl surgery, block it and claim 'design choice' to explain any flaws.


Still, any encouragement on either of these projects would be greatly appreciated.

3 comments:

Ann said...

I agree about the Cladonia -- fix it up, bind off (less fancily if you can't bear it) and move on. I have a few things I sort of want to tweak on my Color Affection but not going to do it, nope, not going there.

The cowl I would put aside if you're not thrilled with it at the moment. I'm totally with you on the abrupt changes -- yarn that doesn't do what you envision is so frustrating, and there's not a lot you can do about it. After some time, I think you'll fall in love with it again, or come up with a better plan.

My problem is that all the knitting time I have is at the playground, and all the ideas I have are for the machine. Got a solution for that one?

Kathie said...

I LOVE the cowl; really liked the color progression when I saw in it real life, and I still like it. The yarn has a great halo, and the cockles add a fabulous texture to the whole thing. As for the Cladonia, yes, just finish it, and wear it. (But I will admit, that I'm actually not a fan of the pattern, and you know how I feel about purple, so I could be rushing to hasty judgement on that one.)

And if encouragement doesn't work, I'll give you back some of your own advice, "Knit a hat."

Leonie said...

So how's it going Amelia?

The cowl is very stripey, but it's got a great sense of depth resulting from this, light and shadow sort of. I like it.

The Cladonia: I suspect there's some over thinking going on. Finish the edging, fix the attempted surgery, move on to something that will please you more easily :-)