Friday 1 February 2008

hands

‘I got the blues thinking of the future, so I left off and made some marmalade. It's amazing how it cheers one up to shred oranges and scrub the floor.’

D.H Lawrence

What do you do with your hands that makes you feel calm? Until recently I would have said knitting, although I have lately rediscovered the mesmerising lull that can be hand stitching. I can understand why you would want to hand quilt a bedspread (ok, maybe a pillow cover).

Anyway, Taryn Ferris of London Metropolitan University wants to know what you do with your hands that makes you feel calm as part of her Hands Project 2008. You can complete the Hands Survey and can also contribute an image that relates to your answer.

All the information is available here.

1 comment:

Drewzel said...

I love that quote.
Yep, I've found that embroidery or hand quilting really helps keeps your hands busy and your mind calm. Any stitching I don't have to think about or follow a pattern closely is good!