Monday 11 February 2008

vol 4

Volume 4 of Golden Hands: the complete knitting, dressmaking and needlecraft guide introduces three more crafts - patchwork, fringing and toy making (softies 70s style). There's not an awful lot that inspires me in this volume although as per usual the Fashion Flair and Pattern Library pages are classics - check out the gay appliqué pot holders.
These Golden Hands posts are a good opportunity to report in on my crafting progress. I have finished knitting the latest pair of socks - hooray! Graft the toes, weave in the ends, give them a wash, take photos, package them up, post them off, wait a few days then reveal them to the world.

I love to write lists, have I ever mentioned that or has it just become obvious? Tucked in the front of my diary is the 'great universal list of things to do'. It's my consolidated list (as opposed to a list of everything to do in the universe which would take so long to compile that you'd never get around to doing anything). In my lists, I like to break tasks down into smaller components. The closer I am to getting around to something the further I break it down. That way the most immediate tasks are the smallest and are easily achieved which gives a great feeling of satisfaction. This approach also has a tendency to rapidly multiply the number of tasks but also gives a great illusion of productivity.

1 comment:

Di said...

Ahh- I almost find the opposite- as I subdivide tasks the lists become a form of procrastination and nothing ever seems to get done, partially from the fact that I'm frozen with fear by the immense list of things to be done...
Wow- that bunny pic is like a snapshot from my childhood memories leafing through those books...