Monday 3 September 2007

strawberry fields

I'm not sure that there are actually any strawberries on this fabric, but that is what it makes me think of. I wonder where the it came from originally? I bought it at the Salvation Army op shop in Elsternwick in the form of a home-made wrap skirt. I'd be tempted to keep the skirt intact and wear it myself except it's not my size and doesn't wrap quite enough to protect my modesty. So, I'm thinking about cutting it up to make a smock for baby bear.

No-one else seems to be thinking about smocks though – I’ve had a look through a few pattern books and on websites and can’t find anything suitable. There are a few vintage patterns available on ebay, most of them from the 1970s - oh dear, can you tell which decade I grew up in? The issue is about choosing a square yoke or a rounded yoke. I had envisioned a square yoke but the older patterns appear to come in single sizes and the square-yoked smock pattern is larger than I had in mind. I have size 2 in mind.

No comments: