Tuesday 3 March 2009

meret

The vital statistics

Pattern: Meret, the mystery beret, by Woolly Wormhead, accessed through Ravelry.
Yarn: a heathered red lambswool recycled from a mens Old Navy vest.
Needles:
4mm for the brim, 4.5mm for the body of the beret.
Start to finish: 17 February 2009 to 25 February 2009.
Comments: I knit an inch in stocking stitch and then an inch in 2x2 rib and included four repeats in order to make it super slouchy.

Verdict:
Super! This is really what I was looking for when I knit Fern Glade. I think that I may have gotten the gauge wrong on that project or the yarn just didn't suit it. This one came together really well. I love the shape and the size. I also found knitting this to be really inspiring - the whole time I was thinking that I could use the basic parameters and substitute lace patterns, even gauge if I felt really adventurous. The pattern calls for an Aran/10 ply weight yarn that knits at 18 stitches per 10cm but I guess that you could do some maths and work out how many stitches are required to get the same brim circumference in a lighter weight yarn. I also thought that you could create a diamond/leaf shape by shifting the alternating pattern repeat along by half a repeat. That's hard to explain - might have to knit one up to show!

No comments: