Saturday 2 February 2013

2012(.16666666666666667ish)


Finally, the end of 2012. Although, looking back I see that I was even later in 2012 with the 2011 wrap-up than I am now with the 2012 wrap-up - oh, whatever.

Here's what I was aiming for:

- read at least one book each month
- craft mostly from stash (I aspire to 'only from stash' but then, I'm also realistic)
- finish things
Here's what I did:

27 - number of books read (and at least one every month)
24 - number of finished projects (17 knitted, 3 crocheted, 4 sewn)
13 - number of finished projects crafted from stash or thrifted materials (a pleasant surprise, that's more than half!)
2 - number of long-term projects completed, Baudelaire socks and Babette blanket (respectively, 3.5 years and, oh, only one and a bit)
2 - number of times I completed Cladonia
12 - number of items made for others or given away

1 - number of heart-rending, mind-bending international moves made. I haven't really written much about this, about the dislocation, the discombobulation. Maybe it's that I'm still processing it, or processing it in small, incremental ways that don't warrant a mention in themselves but all add up to a greater picture of where we are now and where we have been. Four-and-a-half months and already the whole experience of living in the US, the four-and-a-half years of it, seems like a dream. Making that photo-mosaic, looking at those photos taken on my kitchen windowsill - sob.

I'm a bit disappointed with my output last year, but hey, those last four months were a write-off and I'm only now getting all of my sewing stuff unpacked. I think I'm ready to buy a sewing machine which is very exciting. So, yeah:

3 - number of machines left behind in the US: sewing machine, overlocker and cover-stitch machine - sob.

2 comments:

Leonie said...

When moving locations we don't just move our bodies and belongings we need to move how we think and interact as well. It's bad enough doing it from one town to another, doing it from one country to another is bound to be disconcerting. If the reasons for the move were (and I'm guessing here) somewhat "out of your control" then all the more so I would guess. If life is feeling more settled now then that's great but if it isn't yet, then that's ok too. Great change takes great energy and as a mother you aren't just dealing with the change yourself but also for your partner and your children. Give yourself the time to gather the energy to process the changes.

Now I sound all weird and hippy, ultimately, the more difficult something is the longer it takes until you feel comfortable with the outcome. Give yourself the time to process, it's ok.

melissa said...

Miss you, Amelia!