Saturday 15 August 2009

$1.25

I have long been meaning to start a comprehensive and in-depth review of thrift stores in Seattle and surrounds. Problem is that I have thus far found that the best thrift stores are the big chains (Goodwill and Value Village) and that the smaller, independent store fronts often don't measure up, which is unfortunate. And I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Anyway, I stopped by what must be one of Seattle's most idiosyncratic thrift stores today. It is held in the hall of the University Temple United Methodist Church on Fridays between 2 and 5 pm, accessed by the lane behind the church. Amongst dinner being prepared for the neighbourhood's needy and someone plinking away at the grand piano there are a number of racks of clothes, tables of stuff and shelves of homewares and books. And these things really are a bargain - the vintage sewing pattern, child's shirt and three Duralex glasses were a quarter (that is, 25c) each; a grand total of $1.25.

Alas the sewing pattern is missing the pattern piece for the sleeve. Truth be told, I do know how to draft one up myself but what a chore. Also truthfully, the pattern is a child's size 10 and baby bear being almost three I have years to psyche myself up for a bit of pattern drfating. I just really liked the picture on the packet.

No pattern drafting required (and costing a tad more than $1.25 but I expect that it will be worth every cent) I finally bought myself an Ottobre magazine. It's issue 5/2006 (winter) and my choice of this particular issue was prompted by an inspirational creation that I saw over at the blog omi creates. I think that Naomi's version looks far better than that in the magazine (pictured below left). And Naomi made hers from fabric that she bought at the Salvation Army - fantastic!

I had bought (ahem, a couple of years ago now) a very generic McCalls pattern to make baby bear a coat by recycling a Romeo Gigli jacket (that I incidentally also bought at the Salvation Army) but I'm almost ashamed of it now, having seen what is possible.

I also like the red jacket on the right and have just the fabric for it - to be recycled from a pale aquamarine angora/wool coat that I bought at (wait for it) the Salvation Army, albeit in Zurich, last year. And fortunately all of the patterns come in a number of sizes so there are still years in which to procrastinate ...

No comments: