Wednesday 16 September 2009

made for each other

Ooooooooh, it's so irritating when you have a picture in mind and you're sure that it's in a certain book and you go looking for it and it is indeed not there and then you're unsure as to whether you ever actually saw said picture or just dreamed it up and ... oh well, let go.

What I am trying to say is that, once upon a time (and this may be a fairy tale), I saw a picture in a book of a slightly prairie-style striped dress.
Some time afterwards in my op shopping (so we're talking Melbourne days here) I found a great dress from a medium-weight cotton which was just the fabric for said dress, a sort of herringbone-weave self stripe.

Then, some further time later, I bought a Japanese pattern book (at Kinokuniya when we were in Singapore last year) and there was just the pattern for the dress. I have since discovered (in a kind of freaky co-incidence way) that the Japanese pattern book has just been published in an English language version titled Carefree Clothes for Girls: 20 Patterns for Outdoor Frocks, Playdate dresses, and More by Junko Okawa.

So, just a day ago I decided that it was time to dig that original picture out and put some thought into this project. Can't find 'said' picture anywhere in the book that I thought it was in. Will there be a fairy-tale ending to this sad story? Will I remember which book I saw the picture in or will I just have to make the dress myself? Ha ha - I'm not sure which would take longer!

1 comment:

sewing the seeds of love said...

I am sure you will find the picture the moment you no longer need it!
Thanks for the link to the book. I love the top with crochet doily trim .I am off to pre-order myself a copy !