Monday 1 March 2010

february book roundup












I read three books this past month!
  • After the Armistice Ball by Catriona McPherson - I love detective fiction. This one is set amongst the upper class of Scotland, post-WWI. Good characters, well written, intricate story with just enough nuanceIt's the first in a series of five or six - hooray.
  • Salvation on Sand Mountain: snake handling and redemption in Southern Appalachia by Dennis Covington - I heard about this book on NPR and having previously read The Little Friend by Donna Tartt (which was the first I had encountered I think about the notion of snake handling) my curiosity was sparked. This book disappointed me though; the strength and nature of the author's spiritual revelation and apparent redemption was not conveyed to me.
  • Living Dead in Dallas by Charlaine Harris - guilty reading pleasure: mediocre writing about sex with vampires in rural Louisiana.

No comments: