Thursday 22 January 2009

the joy

This pile of yarn is going to be my Joy. The cardi that is, from Rowan's Vintage Style. Ah, I remember the day that I came across Rowan. I had discovered knitting and then I discovered that there were actually patterns worth knitting. Pre-Ravelry I had a word doc full of pictures clipped from the internet of Rowan patterns that I wanted to make. And Joy was one of them, so it is actually since a very long while ago that I have been wanting to make this garment.

As such I am going to take my time with it, I am going to make sure that it fits beautifully, I am going to frog sections if they are not right, I am going to carefully model the size and shape after my favourite fitting woollen cardigan.
The original Joy pattern calls for some five-and-a-half thousand, yes my friends thousand, tiny little beads but many smart people have been substituting in a purl stitch. I will be following their example.

It's going to be a joy to knit, isn't it?


(And if it's not, there's always Lombard or Fontaine or Lisette or ....)

2 comments:

Shannon said...

I'm so excited for you! Did you do anything special to your yarn before you wound it?

I have a very large sweater that I can't wear, and I'd like to reclaim the yarn for something better...

goodkarma said...

Oooh, so much purply goodness!