Tuesday 5 October 2010

wedding foliages

While I have not taken the 'handmade pledge' (although that's about buying, not making), nor do I profess to be part of The Compact, both of these movements certainly encompass tenets that I try to live by - where possible don't buy new and choose handmade (preferably by me). So I knit our gifts for the wedding that we attended recently in Savannah (I must point out though that the bride and groom live in Chicago):

















The Vital Statistics
Pattern:
Foliage by Emilee Mooney available free from Knitty - thank you!
Yarn:
Sundara Yarn Worsted Merino in shade 'Watching the Night Emerge' and Noro Cash Iroha in the not quite so evocative shade 108.
Needles:
4.5 and 4mm for the grey/green and 7 and 5mm for the brown.
Size:
I knit the two versions, the worsted (grey/green) and the bulky (brown). I wanted the hats to match but not be identical.
Stash/recycle content:
All from stash (although I must admit recently and arbitrarily acquired). The Sundara was a curiosity purchase from someone who was de-stashing and the Noro was on sale at Churchmouse and I didn't want to leave empty handed ...
Start to Finish:
16 to 18 September 2010 (grey/green) and 21 to 24 September 2010 (brown).
Comments:
I've knit this hat five times now and have enjoyed it every time. It has become my go-to gift knit. This is the first time that i have knit a bulky weight version - I had the Cash Iroha and some needles so I just gave it a shot. I think that this is a forgiving pattern - it has a bit of stretch but if it's a bit loose that's ok too.
Verdict:
May their love grow and grow.

1 comment:

shandy said...

Clever idea to match the hats! Only those in cold climates would really appreciate them.