Oops, I completely missed the topic 'this is ... what makes me happy', partly because it really set me thinking and it's taken me this long to gather up my thoughts. So, I'm going to use last week's open theme as time to catch up and also as a chance to incorporate the ‘Tree of Happiness’ award that I received from the Vintage Detective - thanks Chloe! This award involves listing six things that make me happy and passing the honour on to six other bloggers.
But, and this is where I got stuck, can things really make you happy? If it were that easy then we could all be happy, all the time. It would be as simple as eating another piece of chocolate. But constantly eating chocolate doesn't keep you constantly happy; it just gives you a tummy ache.
Happiness, it seems to me, is beyond that. It's an a priori state of being. There are a number of things that I am unhappy about at the moment - the frustration of not having a bank account or being able to work, missing my friends and support network in Melbourne, the stress of settling in here - but regardless, above and beyond those things, I'm happy.
So, in short, I think that there are things that you can be happy about (or unhappy about) but it's not within the power of things to make you happy. Having said which, here are six things that I am happy about:
1. My family - just delirious. The absolute joy that baby bear brings to my heart, the depth of love for my husband.
2. Where my creative processes are taking me; sometimes I feel a bit overwhelmed but am constantly inspired and that is uplifting.
3. Moving to a house in Seattle proper this weekend, out of this drab serviced apartment.
4. Having found some great knitting groups here - Kirkland Knitters, Purly Girls and Capitol Hill Knitters of Doom (all on ravelry).
5. Lovely new friends that I have made since moving here - hi Lisa, Anna, Blair!
6. The stunning natural beauty of the Puget Sound area (photo by Andrew Hitchcock, originally posted on flickr - thanks Wikimedia Commons).
Jenaveve, Jeanne, bird bath, Lisa, A, Pherenike - what are you happy about?
Further, the very lovely Angela of Three Buttons who hosts 'this is ...' has given me the opportunity to nominate this week's theme. And it is 'this is ... my trade secret'. Any tricks of your trade/craft, snazzy gadgets that give a lovely professional effect, any techniques that the rest of us would also benefit from knowing? Go on, do share!