Sunday 8 November 2009

oilily

Oilily is a spectacularly expensive brand of children's and women's clothes that hails from the Netherlands. They used to have a distributor in Australia but this arrangement ceased a couple of years ago and they had a big clearance sale. I bought a couple of heavily discounted (but I admit, still ridiculously priced, t-shirts and socks for little miss bear) and a woven woollen stole in red and blue for myself. It's a great size, super warm and gets a multitude of compliments every time I wear it so I consider it worth every cent.

So, I saw this burgundy checked fabric at Stitches here in Seattle some weeks ago and was quite taken with it but really had no idea what I would do with it. I wasn't sure about wearing a garment in a check like this (unless maybe a coat but that's a tall order) and didn't want to sew anything for myself anyway.

Then I recalled a post on wisecraft about making your own scarf from a piece of fabric and fraying the edge to create a fringe. That is what I am going to do with this fabric, of which I bought a yard and a half. I'm going to make it up to the same dimensions as my favourite Oilily stole. Stay tuned

3 comments:

Maiden Jane said...

I think that's a great idea. I look forward to seeing it!

shandy said...

What about a maud, as detailed by Needled? I had never heard of these before, but they do look quite wearable.

blair said...

That will make a lovely, cozy scarf Amelia, love the colors! xo