Sunday 8 June 2008

this is ... my favourite travel memory

Sandro Botticelli, The Virgin and the Child (photo from Museo Poldi Pezzoli)

My favourite travel memory is one from our recent trip to Europe. Walking around the art galleries, baby bear would point to the Madonna and child paintings: "baby, baby" my baby would say. It was so beautiful my heart nigh wept.

Most of the time in the museums I carried her on my hip for fear of not being able to pay for anything that got broken, but there were some areas where everything was behind glass or out of reach. I had nothing to fear though - she wasn't the slightest bit interested in most of the displays. She did, however, take the opportunity to rearrange the furniture - if there was an empty museum guard's chair it ended up being dragged halfway across the room.

Travelling with a little one in Europe was a real joy. People responded so well to baby bear - they actually stopped in the street in Milan to exclaim 'che bella bimba'*. No 'che bella mama' for the ragged woman behind her who had just carried la bimba, stroller and all, up an entire flight of steps out of the metro but oh well, compliments, you take them where you can!

* What a beautiful little girl

3 comments:

Ellieboo said...

You have brought back memories of my fantastic trip to Europe a few years back and the art work, oh the art work. I have since had a baby of my own and cant wait to take her to art galleries so she can rearrange the furniture too :) Amanda

Lisa [strickerin] said...

Oh yes I love travelling with children too. They are revered in so many cultures and people will go out of their way to talk with them.

And I will say it for you... che bella Mama!

Jenny said...

What happy memories for you all-such wonderful things to see and experience