Tuesday 4 November 2008

born slippy

With apologies to English electronica band Underworld whom I'm sure never had the finishing touches on my roses quilt in mind.


Anyway, do you see my tiny slip stitches there along the binding? No? Phew! Yes, hooray, I have finished the roses quilt and am very happy with it, for all sorts of reasons:

- it's the first quilt I have ever made
- I encountered and learned lots of new techniques including free-hand machine quilting and binding
- I just had to buy plenty of new notions like a free-hand machine quilting foot as well as threads and needles and pins and the like
- it turned out well!

The picture on the left below shows the effect of the outline quilting on the floral side of the quilt, and the picture on the right the stitches as they show through on the backing.













There's over eight metres of slip stitching around the perimeter there. Those tiny stitches, they're laborious but oh so satisfying and the actually process of hand stitching - very calming and very rewarding.
I wonder what the quilt is like to sleep under? Perhaps I'll just go and give it a quick test run ...

6 comments:

Anina said...

It's beautiful! You did a wonderful job. Your quilting is lovely.

CurlyPops said...

Wow it is absolutely amazing. I love the outline quilting...you must be very patient indeed!
I think you deserve a snooze after all that hard work.

edward and lilly said...

Well done, it's just gorgeous, I can see you've put a lot of hard work into it.

Shannon said...

Lovely quilt. It looks very cozy...just what you need for rainy Seattle.

nikkishell said...

Is is fabulous! You did such a lovely job. Well done, give yourself a pat on the back from me, i can't reach from here :)

Anonymous said...

your quilting looks GREAT!!!