Tuesday 17 July 2007

favourite things #1

"... whiskers on kittens, brown paper packages tied up with string..." you get the picture.

I have a lot of favourite things to share with you but today's discovery is foremost in my mind so that's what I'll share first.

I went to Spotlight today (not a favourite thing) and they didn't have the interfacing that I was looking for so I ventured further to Cutting Edge Fabric at 189 Glenferrie Road, Malvern. I hadn't been there before and I'm so glad that I went - what an excellent shop! I didn't ask exactly what 'ex-designer fabrics' means but they have lovely fabrics at reduced prices. Last week I was having a quick look around in Armadale (strictly inspiration only) and found a lovely child's coat, on sale for $202 (eek). The fabric was a pale neutral embroidered with red medallions. Well, I found the same fabric (albeit in different colourways) today at Cutting Edge for $24 per metre.

The woman who served me was very friendly and helpful and even gave me tips on how to thread my overlocker (that's another story). What I also particularly liked about the shop was that they have samples of the fabric precut and attached to the end of the bolt, so you get a good size piece of fabric, as opposed to the usual sliver.

The shop is open
Monday to Friday 9:30 - 5:30, Saturday 9:00 to 5:00 and I recommend a look if you are planning to sew something (or just like to dream that you will).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

cutting edge is one of my favourite things – have you check out their remnant bin? Everything is $4 per metre and they have lots of good stuff in there – as long as you are prepared to rummage around.